Monday, December 1, 2008
Ballon d'Or Thoughts
The publication France Football will announce the winner of the prestigious Ballon d'Or award tomorrow morning.
Of the 30 players on the shortlist to win the award, you have to believe that Cristiano Ronaldo will win.
Why Cristiano Ronaldo Will Win the Ballon d'Or
1. Ronaldo led his team to the Champions League title.
2. Ronaldo scored 42 goals for Manchester United last season, leading all scorers in Europe.
3. Ronaldo led his team to the Premier League title.
4. Ronaldo has already won the FIFPro World Player of the Year award.
5. Lionel Messi has endorsed Ronaldo for the award.
Why Cristiano Ronaldo Could Lose the Ballon d'Or
1. Ronaldo's performance in both the Champions League final (where he missed a penalty kick) and in Euro 08 add to the idea that he doesn't perform well in big games.
2. Ronaldo's long transfer saga this summer could have left a bad taste in the mouth of voters.
3. Since the end of last season no one has played better than Lionel Messi. Messi has looked simply unstoppable in both the Olympics and in La Liga and is currently in the best form of anyone in the world. Messi has gotten more praise from his fellow players than Ronaldo has.
4. Fernando Torres scored over 30 goals in his first year in the Premier League, and led Spain to a Euro 08 title. Those accomplishments certainly put him in the mix.
If Ronaldo does win the Ballon d'Or it would be the first time a player from the Premier League won since Michael Owen won in 2001, and the first time a player from Manchester United won since George Best in 1968.
Who do you think will win the Ballon d'Or?